Dueling Forties Update: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40 & Bali 4.0
A Brief Look At The 40ft Catamarans Models At The 2015 Paris Boat Show
The Bali 4.0 and Lucia 40 catamarans are very different boats and each has unique features that will appeal to different people. Both are boats with good sailing characteristics, are built and finished well and are similarly priced. Personally, I prefer the interior styling of the Lucia 40 but find the innovative design features of the Bali 4.0 very exciting. I have not sailed the Lucia 40 and cannot attest to the performance. The Bali 4.0 is light and therefore very maneuverable and fast. Both boats are designed for easy sail handling for a single hander or a couple and the helm stations are equally well positioned for good visibility. Ultimately the choice of catamaran will come down to personal preference for each buyer.
The Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40
The Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40 was launched amid huge fanfare at the Paris Boat Show in December 2015. It coincides with Fountaine Pajot’s 40th anniversary and their 40th model to be introduced. It was the 40/40/40 fest for FP! The Lucia 40’s orange hull was certainly eye catching and was very well received by potential buyers.
Lucia 40 Standout features
- Low boom for easy access to the main. This is a big deal. In many of the newer boats with fly-bridges, the boom is impossibly high and difficult to operate
- The decks are wide and flat with all flush hatches
- Semi fly-bridge or raised helm station for good visibility all around
- Multiple social areas including sundeck on the coachroof and the forward deck.
- Huge cockpit with a table that comfortably seats 8-10 and coffee table in saloon. This arrangement opens up the living space considerably. The small forward berths on the Lipari 41 were eliminated on the Lucia 40 at the front of each hull and large storage lockers were incorporated instead. Moving these forward, allowed everything to be moved forward and made the cockpit larger.
- Two large walk around island berths in the aft cabins. Owner's cabin is spacious with lots of storage and with a unique separate head compartment
- Opening front windows for ventilation. Opening hatches in the cabins
- Inter-coastal friendly with a mast height of under 64ft
- Balsa core construction
The Bali 4.0 Catamaran by Catana
The Bali 4.0 catamaran also debuted in Paris and is basically a scaled down version of the Bali 4.3. The major difference is that the Bali 4.0 has a raised (semi fly-bridge) helm station.
Bali 4.0 Standout Features
- The Bali is very light and thus fast and maneuverable
- The cockpit and salon is one open, huge flush living area of 270 Sq Ft +. The living space has the volume of a much bigger boat
- It has a huge forward cockpit and a large sunbathing area on the front decks
- No trampolines. The front deck, like the Bali 4.3 and 4.5, is solid
- The hydraulic assisted tilting aft door is a very unique feature.
- The door is a very simple and effective system and is easy to operate. The door is attached with high-grade stainless steel fittings and has no fancy mechanisms that will easily break down. When the door and the huge sliding windows on each side are opened, you effectively sit in an open cockpit.
- Fold-down transom creates a cockpit extension with an infiniti-feel and further extends the living space and acts as a great swim platform
- Front bay window is also a very unique feature to the Bali. It is fully retractable, providing exceptional ventilation and easy access from the galley to the forward cockpit
- Raised (semi fly-bridge) helm station for optimal visibility
- Spacious accommodations and separate shower and toilet
- Huge stand-up refrigerator
- Bali construction core is resin infused closed cell PVC foam core
Read here how the main statistics of the 40 footers compare>>