LUXURY CREWED CATAMARANS MANAGEMENT PROGRAMS
How To Own And Operate Large Crewed Yachts
The current trend in catamaran ownership is to go bigger! We have in recent years consulted with several clients to buy flagship catamarans like Lagoon 77, Fountaine Pajot Alegria 67, Bali 5.4 etc. into crewed charter all over the world.
These luxury catamarans are not only a great vacation and adventure travel holiday for you and your family but also serves as your own private all-inclusive tropical resort, anywhere in the world.
But these catamarans are expensive to buy and expensive to maintain. All of our large catamaran buyers look for a way to offset the cost of ownership.
There are several ways to achieve your goal of owning a luxury charter yacht in an exotic location.
- You can buy a big sailing catamaran and sail it yourself
- You can hire a crew to sail you around and simply enjoy the lifestyle without ever chartering the boat
- You can do what most savvy owners do and find a way for the yacht to pay its own way through charter income to offset costs
May 2020 ALERT! Crewed Charter Business Opportunity!
Offset the Cost of the Yacht by Using the New CARRY BACK tax rules!
- Recover taxes paid in past years to offset the cost of the yacht purchase. Learn more about Yacht as a Business & Tax Advantages here>>
- Cover all the costs of ownership including the mortgage payments with income and tax advantages – the boat pays for itself!
- Enhance your lifestyle with owner use of the vessel and enjoy the pride of ownership
- LAGOON 620’s & BALI 5.4’s available in this program
- Virgin Islands and Bahamas locations
- “Owner Operator” option available for those who want to make a career change and be involved full time
CREWED YACHT CHARTER PROGRAMS
Most of our owners of catamarans over 50ft place these catamarans into one of several crewed charter programs. The basic idea is that the boat is operated as a business, which enables the owner to reduce the cost of ownership through the use of available tax advantages and income from charter to pay for the boat. All our owners in these programs have successfully created small businesses and achieved their ultimate goals. It is the most cost-effective way to own a big luxury catamaran!
Examples Of Crewed Charter Yacht Programs
The owners live aboard and operate their own catamaran as an independent charter business. We have helped several couples set their catamarans up in a crewed environment. There are two different ways to do that:
- The first is being associated with a charter company that has the benefit of a robust booking system and good support through the charter company’s infrastructure. This is a huge benefit and we recommend this particularly in your first year when you get to know the business.
- The second option is to operate independently and rely on independent charter booking agents to bring your business.
Both options have their advantages and disadvantages and it is something the owner calculates and decides which would be best for them.
These charter programsallow the couples to live their dream while creating a strong business and paying off their future cruising boat.
These two dynamic sailing teams, Kristiann & Graham of catamaran SailAllende.com, an FP Helia 44 and Nim & Fabiola of catamaran Sailluna.com, a Lagoon 450, are two such couples thast we helped set themselves up in a charter business. According to Nim & Fabiola: “…this experience has far exceeded anything we could ever have imagined!”
Fully Crewed Luxury Charter Yacht:
A professional paid crew maintains and runs your catamaran as a small business in the location of your choice. The owner enjoys all the benefits of a crewed yacht while offsetting a significant part of the cost of ownership through charter. The costs of owning a luxury charter yacht are significantly reduced through tax advantages and charter income. However, the owner’s day-to-day involvement will be less intense, as your crew will be managing the “business”.
We have sold many large catamarans (and on accasion big monohulls) into this program. The most popular big yachts that we have placed in this program is Lagoon 77, Jeanneau 67, Bali 5.4, Lagoon 63 MY, FP Allegria 67. In this case we use a professional crewed charter yacht clearinghouse and marketing agency like Dream Yacht crewed division, Nicholson Yachts or Charterworld to manage their calendar, bookings and marketing.
In the hands of the professionals, this luxury catamaran becomes a completely stand-alone business with a permanent crew. A Yacht Management company will provide a comprehensive range of services to maximize the owner’s enjoyment of their yacht, minimize the risks and liabilities associated with yacht ownership, control the costs of yacht operations and protect the significant capital investment that a yacht represents.
By-the-Cabin Charter Yacht Program:
Charter companies like Dream Yacht Charter and The Moorings offer “By The Cabin” charters on their bigger catamarans that allow the charter guest to enjoy an all-inclusive luxury crewed charter for the price of a stateroom. The boat can also be reserved as a private charter for one party by booking all the cabins. It is very affordable and very popular with charterers.
The boat owner places the boat into service with a crew, with one of these companies. The charter company is responsible for bookings and management and the owners get to use the boat for up to eight weeks a year, fully crewed and catered. These programs normally run for 72 months and the owner is paid 8.5% guaranteed income per annum by the charter company and has no out of pocket expenses to operate the boat except to pay the mortgage.
Placing a new yacht into the program provides all the benefits of owning a deluxe sailing yacht minus the expense and challenges of traditional ownership. Typically, this program is reserved for large catamarans (over 50 feet). To optimize revenue, these boats can follow the sun into warmer waters to make year-round chartering possible. We have several owners in this program, operating very successfully in the Caribbean.
Crewed Yacht Business Program With Income and Tax Advantages:
The combination of tax advantages and operating income provide opportunities to not only offset the costs of ownership, but also to create positive net worth through yacht ownership. To learn more about tax advantages and special financing for crewed yacht charters, call us at 1-804-815-5054 or Email Us For A consultation.
Catamarans Available In These Programs
Virtually any catamaran can operate in these programs but generally we recommend
- Catamarans from 45ft for owner operators which generally will be a little more informal
- Catamarans 50ft and up for luxury crewed charter with a professional crew
Catamaran Brands Suitable For Crewed Charter
- Fountaine Pajot – Elba 45, Saona 47 Saba 50, FP 59, and Alegria 67
- Lagoon 450, Lagoon 50, Lagoon 560, Lagoon 620 and Lagoon 77
- Bali 4.8, Bali 5.4.
- All Sunreef Catamarans
We have access to all these brands and can help you with the finance, purchase, setting up of the business entity and with the management company / booking agents.
Contact Us For A Free Personal Consultation
Our experienced buyer brokerage team assists and guides owners on how to operate a catamaran as a luxury charter vessel. We show you how to:
- Maximize charter income while offsetting the cost of ownership.
- Decide on the catamaran you would like to purchase such as Bali, Lagoon, Fountaine Pajot, Catana, Voyage, Sunreef, etc. Decide what type of luxury charter management program will work for you
- Understand how you can benefit from Charter Management and Tax Advantages
We provide you with the following to set up your crewed catamaran
- Detailed financial charter projections to highlight the potential revenue your catamaran could produce in charter.
- Management agreements and contracts
- Crew placement agencies
- Charter calendar management companies
Contact Us For Personal Consultation
Our complimentary personal consultation is structured to provide expert advice on how to create your own crewed charter yacht business on a catamaran.
- Your choice may range from a new build production catamaran like Lagoon, Fountaine Pajot or Sunreef that is available immediately
- Or a customized project that requires a designer, architects, a yard and legal contracts, like a McConaghy Catamaran new build project.
- We assist you in choosing everything from your ultimate dream sailing vessel to components such as layouts, models, equipment choices and charter ownership advice.
- Structuring a crewed charter yacht business and a business plan
- Choice of management companies
- Special crewed charter finance
More About Charter Programs
* Please Note: This information is general in nature and purchasers are encouraged to seek experienced legal counsel in yacht acquisition planning and implementation. Catamaran Guru is not a licensed Tax Attorney or CPA and is not qualified to give legal advice, but we can put you in touch with experts who are.