Please notify me of the next available boat for the Fractional Yacht Ownership Program
Ownership Redefined For The Sharing Community: Sharing Is The New Owning!
Our current ideal of owning as much “stuff” as we can and of over consumption is being replaced with a new ideal of shared use and ownership. It gives people access to a lifestyle that they otherwise might not be able to afford, and it reduces waste. Imagine owning and sailing your own luxury catamaran for less than 20% of what conventional yacht ownership or bareboat charter would usually cost you! Not only does it save you money but it eliminates the waste of an asset sitting idle for months, collecting dust AND problems.
That is exactly what this program is designed to do! Fractional or Shared Yacht Ownership gives you the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of yacht ownership for a fraction of the cost of conventional ownership or even charter! Shared yacht ownership is exactly what it sounds like—you buy a share or fraction of a yacht. It is not a timeshare where you only purchase the rights of usage for a certain amount of time and end up with nothing when the term expires. With shared ownership you legally own the fraction of the asset and hold the title to the yacht.
It holds the answer to hassle-free and financially smart boat ownership. It’s a simple concept— up to five co-owners can enjoy the benefits of owning a yacht while splitting the cost of the vessel and its management. It is the simplest way to realize your sailing dreams sooner than you otherwise could and with the least hassle. You can use the yacht as you like and your preferred holidays are always available for you.
Shared Catamaran Ownership is Appealing But…
People have been forming partnerships to co-own expensive assets for a long time, but until now they have had to figure out the logistics themselves. The benefits of shared ownership are very appealing, but it’s been too cumbersome for most to set up. Finding the right partners, setting up partnerships, and managing the logistics of owning a shared asset can be time consuming and difficult. We have created a program that makes the entire process easier and makes shared ownership available to everyone.
Fractional / Shared Yacht Ownership Structure
Number Of Owners
Up to five owners each buys a share in a luxury yacht at a fraction of the cost. Unlike timeshare programs where you do not own the yacht and end up with nothing at the end, this program ensures that you have an equity stake in the yacht and hold title of the vessel. We limit the shares to only five owners per boat or less. That way all owners are guaranteed to get equal time. Because owners of fractional shares involve direct ownership, each user has greater control over how the boat is used and maintained and where it is located.
Duration Of The Program
Duration of the program is 5 years. The boat will be sold at the end of the program. Upon the sale of the asset, the owners recover a percentage of their initial cost and will be proportionally refunded from the net proceeds. The owner is free to sell their ownership interest at any time. Since fractional yachts are well maintained and serviced, the value of each owner’s share may not devalue as rapidly as an average yacht’s value.
Owner Weeks Per Share
Owners get up to 8 weeks in a four-membership model and 7 weeks in a five-membership model.
Cost Per Owner Share
The average cost to use the yacht per week (7 weeks per owner) can be as low as $2,500.00. To charter a comparable yacht from a charter company, the cost could be as high as $8,000.00 per week.
Fractional Yacht Owner Use
Owner use is shared equally between the owners according to the number of members. Owner access is allocated fairly to ensure that all owners can optimize the use of the yacht and that all the owners get quality time on the yacht to meet their needs or desires.
- Owner Use Reservations: Owners will reserve time on a reservation system on first come basis (Member A, Member B etc.) with limitations. Dates are decided upon via an equal reservation system well in advance. The first co-owner who signs up becomes “A” in the rotation, the second person “B,” and so on during the first year. The next year, the co-owner who was “A” and had first choice becomes “E”
- Owner Fees: There are NO joining or membership fees. The only fees will be $200/per month as an operating reserve. The residual will be refunded to the owners at the end of the program
- Owner Use Split: Peak dates (Christmas, New year, Easter etc.) will be allocated on a rotation basis so that all owners will benefit equally over the five year program
- Owner Use Limitations: It is envisaged that the maximum continuous owner use will be two weeks per year per owner
- Owner Sabbatical Charter: Each owner will get a “Sabbatical” charter of up to four weeks (one per year for the yacht).
- Owner Weeks For Sale: Each owner may sell 2 of their owner weeks to offset their cost with limitations
- Owner Competency: A competency check will be done with each owner at the start by our qualified sailing instructor, after which owners will operate the vessel as their private yacht. No captain or further supervision will be required once competency is established (training is available should the owner wish to improve skills). If owners wish to hire captains for their use, they may do so at their own cost.
- Reciprocal Use: The plan is to develop co-ownership bases in other locations that will create a reciprocal owner use option. Potential locations currently being investigated –Bahamas (Marsh Harbor), Puerto Rico, Annapolis, USVI (St Thomas). To start, the only location will be Fort Lauderdale, which has easy access to the Bahamas and the Florida Keys cruising grounds.
Operating Costs Are Covered By Charter Revenue
The annual operating costs such as insurance, dockage, annual haul out and scheduled maintenance will be offset or covered by income from chartering the yacht for a maximum of ten weeks per annum. There are no out of pocket costs to the owners for these expenses. With traditional yacht ownership, the owner spends around 10 percent of the total value of the yacht annually but with our model based on five years, one can save up to 90 percent of the cost of traditional yacht ownership. That is a huge advantage for the owners of a fractional yacht.
- Captained Charter Weeks: Each Yacht will perform ten to twelve captained charters per year and the income will be used to pay annual dockage, insurance and scheduled maintenance so no cost to owners for these overheads.
- Charter Use: Charters will be professionally captained, thereby ensuring the safe operation of the vessel and reducing wear and tear on the boat
Fractional Yacht Models
The latest catamaran models from the worlds top manufacturers like Lagoon, Fountaine Pajot, Nautitech and Bali are available for these programs, fully equipped with air-conditioning, generator, full electronics, dingy, outboard and sun awnings. Boats under consideration at present are Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40, NEW Lagoon 40, Bali 4.0, Dufour 46 (monohull) and Fountaine Pajot Powercat.
Fractional Yacht Management & Maintenance
The vessel will be professionally managed and maintained by a management company to ensure that you enjoy your use of the boat with minimum hassle – boats are maintained in turn key condition and ready for you to step aboard
Location Of The Yachts
Yacht will be based in a luxury secure marina with live-aboard facilities (pump out, internet, pool, etc.) should the owner wish to spend time on the boat at the dock. Location of the yachts is near the fantastic cruising grounds of Biscayne Bay, Florida Keys, the Bahamas and USVI.
Fractional Yacht Shares Figures: Cost Of Yacht Share Ownership
In order to explain how the program works and what the benefits are, we have put an example together using a 40ft catamaran which shows how the financials will work, and what sort of owner use one can expect. Please contact us for more details.
Catamaran Guru Making Fractional Yacht Ownership Work!
Some of the early fractional yacht business models were guilty of taking advantage of the shareholders, and plenty have failed along the way. They would take a boat with a market price of say $2 million and divide it into 10 shares of $400,000, thereby doubling their investment by selling it for a total of $4 million. The Management / brokerage companies were trying to make a killing on one boat. It did not sit well with many potential buyers. Savvy boat owners might be willing to pay a small premium, but they’re not willing to get taken to the cleaners.
Catamaran Guru’s innovative fractional shared yacht ownership programs provide you with a financially savvy solution to yacht ownership that is ideal for your active lifestyle. You can experience all the benefits of yacht ownership without the hassles of staffing, maintaining, or servicing your yacht.
DUE TO HIGH DEMAND AND LIMITED AVAILABILITY OF YACHTS, FRACTIONAL OWNERSHIP IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE FOR 2020 SEASON