Sourdough Beer Bread Recipe
(makes 1 small loaf)
- 6 oz. beer, at room temperature (try all your favorites!)
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the beer and sourdough starter together. The beer will foam.
- Add all the dry ingredients then mix into a dough ball.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for about 3 minutes.
- Cover loosely to let rise until the dough ball doubles in size (about 2-1/2 – 3 hours)
- After the first rise, gently knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Then form into a rough loaf shape placing it on on a floured flat weave kitchen towel folding the towel over to cover the loaf.
- Leave it to rise again for 2 – 2 -1/2 hours.
- Set a cast iron pot that has a matching lid in the middle rack then preheat the oven to 450F.
- Bake the loaf in the covered for 20 minutes.
- Then remove the lid to bake until the crust is a deep, golden brown (about 10-15 minutes).
- Let cool before slicing….if it lasts that long!